Friday, February 3, 2017

My teaching life in a nutshell.

ようこそ金曜日!!My name is Urushidani Sensei and I've been across the Pacific and back with the hopes to obtain my Master's in Teaching as I actually master the skill.

I moved to Japan for a quick 6 month internship back in '03....ELEVEN YEARS later, I returned to the states. Why you might ask? or perhaps you're wondering what the heck I was doing in Japan in the first place. Well my reader(s), I was studying Japanese and I needed and excuse to live there. What better reason that to teach your native language? I'm lucky, because in my case, that's English. My outstanding/amazing/supportive/fantastic professor created an opportunity of a lifetime for me and INTERNSHIP there I went.

I showed up in my rice field town and was handed a thin little red textbook as I was pushed into a classroom of a dozen 2nd graders and told, "You speak English, so teach!" (Well, not exactly...but basically.) Needless to say, the first year was rough. I had to manage my classroom behavior techniques before I ever got anywhere. As a shy gal with lower intermediate speaking skills, it was a challenge I had to take head on! Then I started to experiment, explore, and educate myself through endless hours of research. My addiction to teaching began. Two years later...our school classroom sizes were maxed out, I was traveling up to 2 hours away each week, my school had me working 6 day/7, and I was the teacher in demand. If you had a pin to prick my head, it would have popped! I thought I was "it." because everyone around me were huge fans. Suddenly, it wasn't enough.

I was seeing other teachers at other schools with better results, higher salary, in bigger cities, and less work hours. I found a new school that taught a new system Pacific Learning System (PLS) in a new town. My pedagogy skills went from a 3-10. Amazing as I thought I was an 8 or a 9 at the time!

Then life happened...marriage, kids, etc. I took a break. I taught mommy'n me classes with my friends and their kids. That re-sparked my need to teach. I opened my own school and became certified in teaching business English as well. I started teaching customer service English at local Japanese Inns, business English at international factories, community center communication classes, as well as my regular children's lessons. I then was offered a part time position at an esteemed junior high/high school. After two years of being surrounded by top notch teachers I saw my pedagogy rating as a 6! How was I missing the most important part of teaching after all these years?! Inspiring students to take what they're learning and use it to better the world.  

That takes me to today. I'm back in the US to get my masters as I learn to teach and inspire my students. I love teaching world languages, so I decided to focus on teaching Japanese in the US. It's been a struggle to get through the reverse-culture shock, but an exciting challenge. Since I've arrived, I have joined every Japanese teacher related group/ World Language (WL) group I can find. I've reached out an made connections with teachers of Japanese from around the country. I've gone to WL conferences and collaborations around the country. It's only been 1/2 a school year since I've had the opportunity to test out these new methods and techniques, and I admit that it's easy to fall back on previously used ones, but I see the tiny green sprouts of improvement popping up here and there each day. My students in the states have their own style of learning and experiencing life. I'm learning just as much from them as they are learning from me.

Up and coming, I'm working with an ESL group in China. I will get the opportunity to continue to develop my ESL teaching skills via the web. I'm excited to experience and learn more about it.

Confession: This blog is for a class. That being said, if you are a WL teacher and you happen to stumble across this, drop me a line. Tell me which method you're using and why. I hope to create a collab space for all (WL) teachers to come and chat and grow.

Best Regards,
MU  

2 comments:

  1. Wow, what interesting opportunities and experiences you've had. I do want to talk to you about teaching ESL. I got to visit Japan in May but only for 10 days and immediately wondered about opportunities to go back. Comments on blogs and assignments will be on Moodle.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have had some amazing experiences teaching overseas! Once you get into the classroom here in the states your students will love all your experiences that you can tell them! What age groups are you looking to teach? I am so excited to read more in your blogs and how this class will help you in world language!

    ReplyDelete