Tuesday, February 7, 2017

Cultural Comparisons


A fellow student posted a few videos from an outstanding site full of self made videos that just about any teacher can find something of value to show their students.


I found this little gem for my Japanese students

Adapting to a New Culture
by Yukiko Nishimura   2013 

I'd love to first have the students make lists of American values in a think-pair-share. Then have students watch Yukiko's video. I'd first have the students take notes on what are the cultural values of Japan vs. the US's via Yukiko's interpretations of her own culture. I'd try to have the students learn their own culture, as it's key that they can discuss about themselves in the target language, as well as our target culture.


2 comments:

  1. So glad that you found something useful. If I had thought I wouldn't have imagined that the Digital Storytelling site would have had World Language stories. We just had an interview for an ELL position at SMU. I learned some interesting things about how the brains of bilingual speakers show advantages over those of monolingual speakers for certain tasks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I did a little digging and found a few more on the Digital Storytelling. Brain development is an interesting subject. This past weekend the WATJ had a teacher from Japan talk about the links a brain that translates creates vs. a brain that learns a second language in total immersion. Interesting stuff.

    ReplyDelete