Sunday, March 5, 2017

When do you use Google Translate in the Classroom, if ever?

This question comes up a lot in the WL trainings, seminars, workshops, collabs, etc.

I've come to decide (today) that I think there is a proper place in the classroom for it and it should be used as a valuable tool. The key is teaching students how to use it before allowing them to.

They should use it for words they haven't already learned in class. To translate what they don't understand in their readings, etc. and that's about it.

If it's over used, we develop a crutch and never quite produce language to our peak ability. Here's my Google Presentation on an assignment idea for my students. I welcome any and all feedback!

https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/1BW9oggUj5qbYfCKhmAy8Pm073nDAOtZArklsP6mK6K4/edit#slide=id.p

I mentioned Malinda Kathleen Reese's YouTube page, link below:

https://www.youtube.com/user/malineka146

She uses Google Translate to change the lyrics to English pop songs. Take a look, even if you're not a WL teacher, it's hilarious. May I suggest her Beatles smash up. The part with the Yellow Submarine (1:22) is my favorite!!


1 comment:

  1. Good idea. To show them what happens when you use Google translate and when it might be useful to use it. Most of the students that I went to Japan with used it when they stayed with their host families for some words anyway.

    ReplyDelete